Laguna Woods, California

So many times I've bought peaches at my local Stater Bros.only to throw them in the trash.

Related: Stater Brothers Grocery Store Manager Review from Los Angeles, California

I didn't know what it was that caused peaches to lose their sweetness and become inedible until I learned about the term "mealy" peaches. It's the term for peaches which have been refrigerated or chilled before they are fully ripe. Apparently, supermarket peaches are picked while firm (not quite ripe) and then kept in cold storage to survive shipping.

This is what causes them to become dry and "mealy." I've noticed recently that the peaches at my SB store are cold and hard rather than being at room temperature and soft.I read an article which says a produce manager should "taste" test and return any peaches that are "mealy" but obviously that isn't happening at my store!

Review about: Peaches.

I didn't like: Inedible peaches.

Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Bad quality / $2
Preferred solution Have someone in the produce department always "sample" the peaches before putting them out.

Had an Experience with Stater Brothers Grocery Store?

Comments

This usually happens late in the season (end of September to October) when the peaches are likely shipped with other fruits that require a different temp range.

Just return the fruit and inform the produce manager so that he can notify quality control