Stater Brothers Grocery Store - "Mealy" Peaches

20 of 127 Stater Brothers Grocery Store reviews

So many times I've bought peaches at my local Stater Bros.only to throw them in the trash.

I didn't know what it was that caused peaches to lose their sweetness and become inedible until I learned about the term "mealy" peaches. It's the term for peaches which have been refrigerated or chilled before they are fully ripe. Apparently, supermarket peaches are picked while firm (not quite ripe) and then kept in cold storage to survive shipping.

This is what causes them to become dry and "mealy." I've noticed recently that the peaches at my SB store are cold and hard rather than being at room temperature and soft.I read an article which says a produce manager should "taste" test and return any peaches that are "mealy" but obviously that isn't happening at my store!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

• Inedible peaches

Reason of review:
Bad quality
Preferred solution:
Have someone in the produce department always "sample" the peaches before putting them out.
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Peaches
Review category
Food Stores
review #790997

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Stater Brothers Grocery Store? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
20 of 127 Stater Brothers Grocery Store reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Feb 22 #1115752

This usually happens late in the season (end of September to October) when the peaches are likely shipped with other fruits that require a different temp range.
Just return the fruit and inform the produce manager so that he can notify quality control

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.